Pages

Wednesday, August 18, 2010

So Where Is Clothing Going?

So, for me a noticeable habit of wanting to buy pre-owned clothing really took hold back in the spring of 2008 when I was overseas on a study abroad program for college. I don't think I was disillusioned with "capitalism" or whatever kind of system we have now a-days I think I was more concerned about the environment.
In trying to remember who I was back then I look at what I have now in my closet. I did buy a lot of vintage things and things from outside markets which are very plentiful in London. I remember making a promise to myself that I would buy one thing from a thrift store. One day during my stay I honored that promise by purchasing a beautiful lustrous silk pencil skirt in the loveliest shade of green. I can't remember the name of the shop but I do remember it was an antique store which sold clothing once owned by the upper class and aristocracy. The tag said it was owned by a member of the court (picture coming soon). I think I paid like 10 quid for it (this was a lot more back then).
In 2009 I still had a soft spot for vintage clothing but I was not committed to buying it 100% of the time; I think I might have been living ascetically because as a result of my of spending habits while abroad. As far as buying pre-owned clothing I mainly had purchased things online from Ebay and from local thrift stores. I can't remember whether I was frustrated about the dearth of places to buy clothing from. In the winter I got my second wind and I haven't looked back since.
Nowadays I am fully committed to buying vintage clothing 100% of the time. I think it is a very sustainable way of buying because it has the potential of being guilt free. Buying used clothing has fewer externalities as well and if you buy from a thrift store you might be paying for those externalities because some thrift stores function as charities. The vintage clothing industry has the potential to be a real contender in the global economy.

No comments:

Post a Comment